These beautiful little rolls remind me of the spring time with their vibrant and rich colors. They are my take on a traditional Vietnamese rice wrap. They can vary in what you put in them ranging from shrimp, chicken, tofu, and veggies from carrots, cucumbers, peppers, to avocados. The delicious possibilities are wonderfully endless! I decided to serve mine with a simple dip of low-sodium soy sauce with a few sprinkles of sesame seeds. Depending on how many you have, can serve them as a meal or appetizer.
Shrimp Rice Spring Rolls
1 lb shrimp, peeled and deveined
1 tsp chili powder
salt to taste
cracked black pepper to taste
1/2 tsp chili flakes
1 red bell pepper, julienned
1 large cucumber, julienned
2 large carrots, julienned
handful of thai lemon basil (or other variety), roughly chopped
handful of fresh mint leaves, roughly chopped
low-sodium soy sauce for dipping
sesame seeds to garnish
lime wedges, to serve
- Cook your shrimp on low to medium heat. Season with chili powder, chili flakes, and salt and cracked black pepper to taste. Remove from heat with done. Do not overcook.
- Prepare you rice wraps. Dip one wrap at a time in a bowl of warm water for 3 to 5 seconds, or prepare according to package instructions. You want the paper to be soft yet still firm and pliable. Allow some water to drip off before applying to damp surface to begin filling.
- Apply rice paper on a damp surface and begin filling the inside. Apply shrimp (I put about 3 to 4 shrimp for each roll), veggies, and a dash of mint and basil about 1/3 of the way up on the rice paper from the bottom (the bottom of the rice paper starting at the closest direction from where you are sitting). Do not over stuff.
- Start folding the rice paper beginning with the bottom, folding it upward almost half covering the shrimp and veggie stuffing. Fold the full left side inward, the full right side inward and begin rolling upward starting from the bottom. Do so tightly yet gently using your fingers to tuck in the shrimp and veggies as you roll. Almost as if you are folding a burrito.
- Cover finished wraps with a damp paper towel to keep them fresh before serving.
- When ready to serve, sprinkle with some sesame seeds, prepare lime wedges, and prepare soy sauce for dipping and enjoy!
www.alaaspantry.com * instagram.com/alaaspantry