spicy, sweet, sour, zesty, and spicy all in one aromatic delicious dish packed with a wide assortment of good-for-you veggies
Red curry is a blend of ground ingredients like peppercorn, coriander, lemongrass, galangal (in the ginger root family), lime leaves, cilantro, shallot, garlic, fresh chiles, and soaked dried chilies. It makes up a bold and robust flavor that is a wonderful addition to meat and veggie dishes. You can purchase red curry already made in supermarkets or make your own blend at home. This Thai red curry dish is packed with protein and a wide assortment of vegetables that give a crisp crunchy element along with essential vitamins and minerals. Eating a variety of vegetables has benefits towards your skin, immune system, digestive system, energy levels etc. It is recommended that women should intake about 2 ½ cups, and men about 3 cups, of vegetables a day. This dish alone will definitely help you get close to that daily requirement of vegetables. Topped off with the freshest Thai basil it is definitely a dish you will want to make again and again. Serve alongside fragrant jasmine rice or brown rice.
Thai Coconut Red Curry Chicken
½ of a long red chili pepper
4 garlic cloves
¾ in. cube fresh ginger
1 pound chicken breast, cut into small cubes
2 tbs white vinegar
½ tsp dried basil
Salt to taste
Cracked black pepper to taste
2 tbs olive oil
½ cup snow peas, julienned
1 medium sized green pepper, julienned
1 medium sized red bell pepper, julienned
1 red onion, julienned
⅓ cup shredded carrots
1, 15 oz. can baby corn, thoroughly rinsed
½ of a 15 oz. can bamboo shoots, thoroughly rinsed
3 cups light coconut milk
2 ½ tbs red curry paste
2 ½ tbs low-sodium soy sauce
1 ½ tbs rice vinegar
½ – 1 tbs cream of coconut (or coconut sugar)
Juice of 1 lime
Handful of fresh thai basil, chopped
- Combine garlic, ginger, and red chili and crush together using a mortar and pestle.
- In a separate bowl combine chicken with white vinegar, dried basil, and salt and pepper to taste. Let marinate while you chop your vegetables.
- In a large sauce pan on medium heat add olive oil until heated. Add chicken and allow to thoroughly cook. Add in garlic, ginger, and red chili mixture and stir. Leaving for about 1 to 2 minutes.
- Next add to the saucepan the coconut milk, red curry paste, soy sauce, rice vinegar, cream of coconut (or sugar), and lime juice. Stir together well.
- Next add your vegetables to the saucepan and mix. Reduce the heat to low and cover for about 5-8 minutes, getting the vegetables tender, yet still crisp. Add about half of your chopped basil and mix into red curry.
- Serve alongside rice, garnish with remaining thai basil, and enjoy!
For more follow