a rich steaming pot of comfort, aromatic basil and fresh tomatoes, making this soup a superb source of vitamin C, vitamin A, and lycopene
Tomato soup is a classic. It’s best when made from the freshest of ingredients. This soup is made with fresh, ripe tomatoes reduced down with fresh basil leaves and the simplest of ingredients to make a delicious warm bowl of goodness. Tomatoes are loaded with vitamin C and vitamin A which act as antioxidants in the body that help protect our cells from harmful free radicals in the blood. Free radicals in the blood stream are quite dangerous because they can lead to cell damage, which can cascade into seriously harmful health conditions. Lycopene is another antioxidant found in tomatoes. Regular lycopene intake has been linked to a reduction in heart disease. Not only are tomatoes ridiculously vitamin and mineral rich but they can enhance the flavors of many dishes. They are one fruit you don’t want to leave out of your diet.
Roasted Tomato Basil Soup
3 lbs roma tomatoes, halved
7-8 garlic cloves, crushed
3 tbsp olive oil
2 potatoes, diced
1 onion, diced
3 tbsp tomato paste
4 cups low-sodium broth (chicken or vegetable)
2 cups fresh basil, extra for garnish
Parmesan cheese for garnish *optional
Red chili flakes for heat *optional
Salt to taste
Cracked black pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 425°F. Place tomatoes on a baking tray.
- Mix 2 tbsp of olive oil with crushed garlic. Pour olive oil and garlic mixture over the tomatoes. Using your clean hands coat all the tomatoes with the garlic olive oil. Season with salt and cracked black pepper. Let roast for about 25 minutes.
- While the tomatoes are roasting, heat 1 tbsp of oil in a medium sized saucepan over medium to high heat. Add the onion and potato. Allow to cook for about 7 minutes, until onions are translucent and potatoes start to brown.
- Next add the tomato paste in the saucepan and mix well. Next add in the stock. Cover and allow to come to a boil.
- After it has all come to a boil, put the heat on low and let simmer for 15 minutes, until the potato is tender.
- Add the roasted tomatoes and basil to the broth. Simmer for about a minute until the basil leaves are limp. Use a stick blender to blend soup or carefully add contents to a food processor and blend. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- If desired, pour the soup through a strainer to obtain a smoother finish.
- Garnish with fresh basil, parmesan cheese, serve and enjoy!
for more follow