homemade toasted crispy pita chips, using less oil than the store bought brands with the same, if not better delicious flavor
Instead of being deep fried, like our typical chip, these chips are drizzled with extra virgin olive oil and oven baked. Excess oil and fat in the diet can lead to detrimental health conditions like obesity, diabetes, and cardiovascular disease. We need to ensure we monitor the amount of fat and oil in our diet. Wherever we can cut down, we should. These homemade pita chips are a simple recipe that doesn’t take long to make. Aromatic herbs, and fresh garlicky olive oil. You can use fresh ingredients for this recipe or easily replace with dried ingredients. I decided to use fresh garlic and infused it in the olive oil, and dried herbs. Delicious crispy bites, perfect to dip with hummus or your favorite vegetable dip. Your choice to cut in triangles or squares.
Garlic & Herb Pita Chips
6 pita breads, cut into desired shapes
¼ cup olive oil
2-3 crushed garlic cloves
¼ tsp dried oregano
¼ tsp dried basil
Salt to taste
Cracked black pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Crush garlic cloves, using a mortar and pestle. Add in olive oil and mix well. Let sit for about 15 minutes.
- While that is infusing, cut pita bread into desired shapes. Put on a lined cookie sheet. Drizzle all olive oil and garlic mixture on bread. Add oregano and basil, and salt and cracked black pepper to taste. Mix well until all bread appears evenly coated.
- Put into preheated oven for about 7-10 minutes or until browned and crispy.
- Remove from oven, let cool. Serve alongside hummus, and enjoy!
for more follow