this fresh quinoa salad is loaded with delightful crisp flavors in a sweet and zesty dressing, packed with rich fiber, antioxidants, and healthy fats
Quinoa is a super food that has made its global impact in the past decade. It is packed with twice as much fiber as its grain counterparts. Fiber is known to relieve digestive issues. It also can lower the risk of heart disease by reducing blood pressure and diabetes. Fiber also always us to feel fuller for a longer period of time, thus helping us eat less and lose weight. Other great ingredients in this salad are the sweet bell peppers and grape tomatoes. These are filled with antioxidants which keep our skin looking healthy and reduce the risk or certain illnesses by blocking the effects of harmful free radicals. Walnuts, which are also a part of this harvest salad, also contain antioxidants. They also contain vitamin E, folate and omega-3 fatty acids. Omega-3 fats are known as the “healthy fat” and are contain a surplus of benefits. Just a few of these benefits include lowering levels of depression, aid in a baby’s development, and improving asthma. Food that tastes as good as it is for you, is the best kind!
Quinoa Harvest Salad
½ cup red quinoa
¼ cup dried cranberries
½ cup grape tomatoes, halved
¼ cup lightly crushed walnuts
1 sweet bell pepper, diced (red, yellow, or orange)
1 apple, julienned (green or red)
Salt to taste
Cracked black pepper to taste
1 tsp fresh dill, chopped
Juice of ½ lemon
zest from ½ lemon
1 tbsp olive oil
1 tbsp white vinegar
1 tbsp honey
- Rinse quinoa with cold water. Now cook quinoa. Add 1 cup water to a small pot. Add a drizzle of olive oil and salt to taste. Put on high heat and let water come to a vigorous boil. Add in quinoa, put on low heat and cover for about 15 minutes until quinoa cooks through. Remove from heat and set aside.
- In a small saucepan add walnuts. On medium heat, stir walnuts consistently until toasted and lightly browned. Remove from heat and set aside.
- In a bowl combine cooled quinoa and walnuts with the dried cranberries, heirloom tomatoes, peppers, apple and scallions. Add salt and cracked black pepper to taste.
- Combine dressing ingredients (dill, lime juice, olive oil, vinegar, honey, and ginger) in a separate bowl. Whisk together well.
- Add desired amount of dressing to salad and mix well. Allow salad to cool in fridge if desired.
- Serve and enjoy!
For more follow