thin slices of onions and potatoes baked in a fragrant garlic and herb infused stock
Potatoes are packed with fiber, that aids in digestive health as well as cholesterol maintenance. Potatoes provide B vitamins which support nervous system health and energy production. Potatoes also provide a good source of iron and potassium. Iron aids in the transportation of oxygen to different parts of our bodies which allow our organs function normally. Potassium provides relief from stroke, anxiety and stress among other benefits. This is quite an easy dish to make for a quick dinner side, with just a little finesse.
4 cups, chicken or vegetable stock
1 sprig thyme
3 sprigs fresh oregano, extra for garnish
2 cloves garlic, crushed
2 garlic cloves, peeled and finely chopped
1 ½ tbs olive oil, extra for coating and drizzle
2 onions, sliced (using a mandolin slicer if possible)
4 potatoes, peeled and finely, sliced (using a mandolin slicer if possible)
¼ cup low-fat parmesan cheese
Salt to taste
Cracked black pepper to taste
- Preheat the oven to 400°F.
- Bring the chicken stock to a boil and add thyme, oregano, and crushed garlic cloves. Simmer a few minutes and strain, setting aside the stock and removing the herbs.
- Coat the inside oven safe pan with olive oil and layer with onions then potatoes.
- Continue layering potatoes and onions until done. Season each layer with a bit of salt & pepper as you go.
- Add 1 ½ tbs olive oil to pan on medium heat, saute finely chopped garlic until lightly browned. Pour this olive mixture over the layers of onions and potatoes.
- Pour the chicken stock over the potatoes until it’s about covered.
- Bake in the oven for approximately 30 minutes or until soft, golden on top. Garnish with parmesan cheese and put back in the oven until the cheese is melted. When finished, garnish with chopped fresh oregano.
- Serve and enjoy!
For more follow