fragrant and perfectly crisp, these smashed potatoes are coated with fragrant garlic and dill infused olive oil
Potatoes are a great source of energy-delivering complex carbohydrates. All varieties including russet, red, yellow, purple, and sweet provide a relatively ample amount of vitamins and minerals. They are rich in vitamin C, B6, copper, and manganese. They are high in fiber, aiding towards digestive health and helping control and improve blood sugar levels. Though all potatoes have their similar health benefits, each one has varying characteristics. The purple variety in particular is jam-packed with disease-fighting antioxidants and phytonutrients. Anthocyanin is the antioxidant that give this particular potato its deep purple color.
Anthocyanin benefits include anti-inflammatory, antimicrobial, anti-carcinogenic, maintaining eye health, neuroprotective, supporting collagen, and increasing intercellular levels of vitamin C. Deeper colored fruits and vegetables often contain high antioxidant levels. In these purple potatoes there is a high concentration of a phytochemical called chlorogenic acid, that has been linked to lowering blood pressure levels. It is always important to diversity your daily intake of fruits and vegetables to allow yourself to benefit from the variety of vitamins and nutrients each food provides.
Garlic and Dill Smashed Potatoes
1 pound small potatoes, washed
4 garlic cloves, minced
3 tbs olive oil
½ tbsp dill, chopped
salt to taste
cracked black pepper to taste
- Place whole potatoes in a pot of boiling water and boil for 20 minutes, until tender. You’ll know it’s tender if you can easily poke through with a fork.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Oil a baking sheet with olive oil. Place the potatoes on top of the baking sheet and gently smash with a fork. Be careful when doing this so the potatoes don’t come apart.
- In a bowl, add together the garlic, olive oil, and dill. Brush or pour mixture over top of the potatoes. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Put potatoes in the oven and allow to bake and crisp up for about 20 minutes.
- When done, garnish with more dill if desired. Serve and enjoy!
For more follow