a soft pumpkin spiced cookie dipped in rich, smooth dark chocolate
The base of this cookies is rolled oats. Oats are extremely nutrient-dense containing high levels of manganese, phosphorus, magnesium, copper, iron, zinc, and vitamin B1. They are rich in carbs and fiber, but also have more protein and healthy fats than most other grains. Oats are also rich in antioxidants, one in particular being avenanthramides. These antioxidants may possibly help lower blood pressure levels by increasing levels of nitric oxide, which is a gas molecule that can help dilate blood vessels and allow easier blood flow. Another important base in these cookies is pumpkin puree. Pumpkin puree has high levels of fiber which helps your digestive system as well as the absorption of nutrients from the foods you eat. Pumpkin is also high in potassium and vitamin C which helps support heart health. When purchasing pumpkin puree, always read the nutrition label to ensure you are purchasing a product with no additives, like salt or sugar. Simple pumpkin puree is as good as a heaping spoonful of the inside of a fresh pumpkin.
Pumpkin Spiced Dark Chocolate Dipped Cookies
3 cups rolled oats
1 ½ cups pumpkin puree
⅓ cup coconut sugar (or regular sugar)
1 ½ tsp cinnamon
½ teaspoon nutmeg
¼ teaspoon allspice
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
½ cup bittersweet chocolate chips, to melt
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Combine all the ingredients, except for the chocolate chips and mix well.
- Shape mixture into small rounds and place on a baking sheet. Flatten just slightly.
- Bake for 12-15 minutes. Check the bottom for doneness, when slightly brown they are ready. Set aside and allow to cool.
- Melt about ½ cup of chocolate chips in a small microwavable bowl for 30 seconds, remove and stir, and again for another thirty seconds, remove and stir. Repeat until chocolate is uniformly melted.
- Dip or spread (with a butter knife) half of the cookie in the chocolate mixture and put on baking tray lined with waxed paper. Put in the fridge and allow to set for 30 minutes to 1 hour. When done, serve and enjoy!
For more follow