a vegetable loaded soup that’s hearty and filling, yet light and delicious
Soups that are rich in vegetables are a great way to provide a fulfilling portion of daily vegetable intake. Vegetables provide a wide variety of vitamins and minerals that are almost impossible to find through other food sources. They provide fiber, antioxidants and even in large portions are generally low in calories. Farro is also nutrient-dense food that is an ancient wheat variety. They contain more fiber than other popular grains like rice or quinoa and because of this provide even greater benefits towards digestive and cardiovascular health. It is also very filling and hearty and a great alternative in your diet if you want to curb your appetite.
Vegetable Farro Soup
1 tbsp olive oil
1 medium yellow onion, diced
1 large carrots, peeled and chopped
2 celery stalks, chopped
4 garlic cloves, minced
1 small sweet potatoes, chopped
1 cup mushrooms, chopped
1, 15 oz can beans (black, kidney, etc)
½ cup 10 minute farro
1, 28-ounce can of diced tomatoes
4 cups vegetable stock
Juice from 1 small lemon
1 ½ tsp dried oregano
1 tsp dried basil
½ tsp dried thyme
½ tsp cumin
½ tsp chili powder
1 tsp sea salt
½ tsp black pepper
4 cups of spinach, chopped
2 tbsp fresh basil, chopped
½ tsp red chili pepper *optional*
- Add olive oil to large pot on medium-high heat then add onions, carrots and celery. Allow to cook until onions become translucent. Add in garlic and cook for about 1 minute.
- Next add sweet potatoes and mushrooms and cook for another minute. Add beans and farro and mix well.
- Next add diced tomatoes, vegetable stock, lemon juice, and spices. Stir well.
- Leave uncovered and let simmer for 25 minutes on medium-low heat. Add in chopped spinach and allow to cook for 5 minutes until spinach wilts.
- Garnish with fresh basil. Serve and enjoy!
For more follow