a one pan clambake that’s so easy to make, loaded with fresh seafood and a thyme and ghee marinate
Clambake is a tradition method of cooking seafood, such as lobster, mussels and crabs, by steaming ingredients over layers of seaweed. The seafood is usually supplemented with vegetables like corn, carrots, potatoes and onions. Seafood is a low fat, high protein food source and is generally recommended to eat at least two times a week. Seafood is high in vitamins and minerals and healthy omega-3 fatty acids, which is beneficial towards heart health. Ghee, used in this recipe, is a class of clarified butter that originated from the Indian subcontinent. It’s made by a simple method of boiling the butter and pouring off the butterfat. By doing this, the proteins (casein and whey) and the milk solids (which includes lactose) from the butter are removed as well. Ghee does have health benefits including strengthening the immune system, maintaining heart health, and reducing inflammation in the gastrointestinal tract. Note, ghee is still rich in fat and should be consumed in moderation. *all the seafood purchased for this meal was from Wegmans*
Sheet Pan Clambake
1 pound baby potatoes
3 ears corn, halved
2 large carrots, peeled and cut into thirds
¼ cup ghee, melted
2 tbsp stone ground mustard
5 garlic cloves, minced
1 tsp smoked paprika
1 tsp red chili flakes
2 tsp Trader Joe’s Chili Lime Seasoning Blend ( if not on hand can use old bay seasoning)
1 tablespoon fresh cilantro, chopped (can use thyme, basil etc)
Salt to taste (keep it minimal if you’re using the Trader Joe’s Chili Lime because it does have salt in it)
Cracked black pepper to taste
1 pound mussels, debearded and scrubbed
2 dozen littleneck clams, scrubbed
½ pound medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
1 red onion, cut into wedges
2 lemons, halved
4 stalks scallions, sliced thin
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Lightly oil a baking sheet (can use ghee, olive oil etc).
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add in potatoes and cook for about 10-12 minutes. Add corn and carrots into the pot of boiling water at around the last 5 minutes of cooking time. When finished drain all water.
- In a separate small bowl, combine ghee, mustard, garlic, paprika, chili flakes, chili lime seasoning (or old bay), and fresh cilantro. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Put potatoes, corn, carrots, mussels, clams, shrimp, sausage, onion and lemons in one single layer onto the oiled baking sheet. Pour ghee and spice mixture over and combine well.
- Place into oven and bake for about 15 minutes, or until all the mussels and clams have opened and the shrimp cooked through.
- Garnish with scallions, squeezes of lemon juice, serve and enjoy!
For more follow