a one pan clambake, loaded with fresh seafood coated in a bright garlic lime marinade
Clambake is a tradition method of cooking seafood, such as lobster, mussels and crabs, by steaming ingredients over layers of seaweed. The seafood is usually supplemented with vegetables like corn, carrots, potatoes and onions. Seafood is a low fat, high protein food source and is generally recommended to eat at least two times a week. Seafood is high in vitamins and minerals and healthy omega-3 fatty acids, which is beneficial towards heart health. Ghee, used in this recipe, is a class of clarified butter that originated from the Indian subcontinent. It’s made by a simple method of boiling the butter and pouring off the butterfat. By doing this, the proteins (casein and whey) and the milk solids (which includes lactose) from the butter are removed as well. Ghee does have health benefits including strengthening the immune system, maintaining heart health, and reducing inflammation in the gastrointestinal tract. Note, ghee is still rich in fat and should be consumed in moderation.
Sheet Pan Clambake
1 pound baby potatoes
4 ears corn, halved
2 large carrots, peeled and cut into thirds
¼ cup ghee, melted (or butter)
1/3 cup olive oil
2 tbsp stone ground mustard
2 tbsp Trader Joe’s Chili Lime Seasoning Blend (or any chili lime mix, lemon pepper)
10 garlic cloves, minced
2 tsp sweet paprika
2 tsp old bay seasoning
1 tsp red chili flakes
Salt to taste (keep it minimal if you’re using the Trader Joe’s Chili Lime or variety because it may have salt in it)
Cracked black pepper to taste
1 pound mussels, debearded and scrubbed (do not let soak in water to clean)
2 dozen littleneck clams, scrubbed (do not let soak in water to clean)
1 pound shrimp, peeled and deveined
1 red onion, cut into half wedges
2 lemons, halved
4 stalks scallions, sliced thin
¼ cup fresh cilantro, minced (can use thyme, basil etc)
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add in potatoes and cook for about 10-12 minutes. Add corn and carrots into the pot of boiling water at around the last 5 minutes of cooking time. When finished drain all water.
- In a separate small bowl, combine ghee, mustard, garlic, paprika, chili flakes, chili lime seasoning, and old bay seasoning. Add salt and pepper to taste. Mix well.
- Put potatoes, corn, carrots, mussels, clams, shrimp, onions and lemons in one single layer onto the oiled baking sheet. Pour ghee and spice mixture over and combine well.
- Place into oven and bake for about 15 minutes, or until all the mussels and clams have opened and the shrimp cooked through.
- Garnish with scallions and cilantro, squeeze of lemon juice, more chili lime seasoning, serve and enjoy!
For more follow