sweet slices of apples rolled in a buttery puff pastry dough dusted with powdered sugar
2 apples, halved down the center stem, cored and thinly sliced into half circles
3 tbsp apricot jam
2 tbsp water
Juice of ½ small lemon
1 sheet puff pastry dough, thawed and chilled (keep in fridge until use)
¼ cup brown sugar
1 tsp cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Once you have cut your apples into the appropriate thin slices add them to a microwave-safe bowl and submerge them in enough water to cover. Add juice of lemon and mix together well. Put into the microwave for 3 minutes.
- While that is in the microwave, in a separate small bowl, mix together the apricot jam and water.
- In another separate small bowl mix together sugar and cinnamon.
- Lay out flour on a dry surface and lay out chilled puff pastry dough. Roll puff pastry sheet to less than ⅛ -inch thickness. Using a knife, cut six 3-inch by 12-inch rectangles.
- Spread apricot jam mixture over dough. Place apple slices along 1 long edge of dough, about ¼ -inch beyond edge of dough, overlapping slices slightly. Sprinkle surface with sugar and cinnamon mixture.
- Fold bottom half of dough over the apple slices to form a long “folder” of dough with rounded edges of apple slices exposed on top.
- Starting from one end, roll dough to form a rose-shaped pastry. Seal roll with end of dough strip ensuring it does not open. Add a bit more sugar and cinnamon mixture to top of rose. Transfer rose to ramekin or cupcake tray.
- Repeat steps 6-8 until you have formed all 6 apple rose pastries.
- Put into the oven for 45-50 minutes until roses are golden brown.
- When finished let cool for 5-10 minutes, use a butter knife to ease out roses if necessary. Add a dusting of powdered sugar over top.
- Serve and enjoy!