sweet, savory, spicy chicken skewers that scream summertime
Pineapples being bright, sweet, and juicy are the perfect fruit to offset with grilled spiced chicken in the heat of the summer. Pineapples are loaded with nutrients and disease-preventing antioxidants. These antioxidants are bound and are able to withstand harsh conditions within the body and have longer lasting benefits.
Pineapples also contain the enzyme bromelain which aids in digestive health. Bromelain breaks down protein molecules into their building blocks which allows for easier absorption through the small intestine. Therefore, pineapple juice can also be used as a meat tenderizer because of bromelains’ ability to break down proteins.
Pineapples may also aid in immunity and have anti-inflammatory benefits. These properties may also aid in speeding recovery after surgery or vigorous exercise. Pineapples are deliciously sweet and a great food to incorporate into your diet towards achieving a healthy and wholesome lifestyle!
Grilled Hawaiian Pineapple-Chicken Skewers
4 boneless chicken breasts, cut into 1-inch pieces
Juice of 1 lime
½ tsp chili powder
½ tsp smoked paprika
½ tsp cumin
¼ tsp salt
½ tsp cracked black pepper
½ tsp sushi rice seasoning mix (Nori Komi Furikake), and extra to garnish
1 green bell pepper, cut into 1-inch pieces
1 red bell pepper, cut into 1-inch pieces
1 red onion, cut into 1-inch pieces
¼ a pineapple, cut into 1-inch pieces
Sweet and Spicy Sauce:
¼ cup soy sauce
¼ cup pineapple juice
½ cup honey (or brown sugar)
1 tbsp chili paste
2 garlic cloves, minced
1-inch cube ginger, minced
2 stalks scallions, sliced thin, reserve half for garnish
- Marinate the chicken in a large bowl by adding the juice of one lime, chili powder, smoked paprika, cumin, salt, pepper and sushi rice seasoning. Let rest as you cut the vegetables and pineapple.
- In a separate small pot on medium-high heat, add your sauce ingredients including soy sauce, pineapple juice, honey, chili garlic paste, garlic cloves, ginger, and scallions. Allow to come to a boil then reduce to a simmer. Set aside.
- Using soaked wooden skewers or metal skewers begin threading chicken, pineapple, peppers, and onion. Complete until all ingredients are done and threaded through skewers.
- Using a basting brush, brush all the chicken skewers generously with sauce, leaving remaining sauce for later use.
- Place your chicken skewers on a grill on medium-high heat. Cook chicken skewers for 8-10 minutes, keeping the lid closed and rotating in between for even cooking.
- Once the chicken skewers are fully cooked remove from heat and dress generously with Sweet and Spicy Sauce. Garnish with sushi rice seasoning mix and the rest of the sliced scallions. Serve and enjoy!
For more follow