a crisp buttered sandwich stuffed with melted cheese, sautéed garlic mushrooms and creamy avocado
Mushroom & Avocado Grilled Cheese Sandwich
4 slices of bread of choice (I used whole grain)
1/2 tbsp olive oil
1-2 garlic cloves, minced
1 cup shiitake mushrooms, sliced
1/2 tsp oregano (or dried herb of choice)
1 tbsp parsley, minced (or herbs of choice)
Gouda cheese, cut into 1/8-inch slices (about 2 ounces)
Sharp cheddar cheese, cut into 1/8-inch slices (about 2 ounces)
1 avocado, sliced or mashed
salt to taste
cracked black pepper to taste
butter to spread, room temperature
1. In a cast-iron skillet on medium-high heat add oil. When warm add minced garlic. Allow to brown, about one minute, and then add mushrooms.
2. Cook mushroom for about 5 minutes until golden brown. Next add salt, black pepper, and oregano. Add fresh parsley and mix well. Remove from skillet and set aside. Reduce heat to medium.
3. Slice or mash your avocado and add a sprinkle of salt and pepper over top (mix if mashed).
4. Butter one side of each bread per sandwich. On un-buttered side add cheese equally, 1/2 of mushroom mixture, and 1/2 avocado to each sandwich and cover with remaining slice of bread. If the skillet fits add both sandwiches to the skillet, laying on one buttered side.
5. Cover skillet with top to allow bread to toast and cheese to melt. After about 1 1/2 – 2 minutes, take the cover off and look under the sandwich to make sure it’s golden brown. If so, carefully flip using a spatula and press down. Cover again and let the other side toast for about 1 1/2 – 2 minutes.
6. When finished add to serving plate and enjoy!
For more follow