five simple ingredients, to make fragrant soft and delicious homemade flatbread
Homemade Flour Tortillas
4 cups all purpose flour
1 ½ tsp salt
2 tsp baking powder
¼ cup vegetable oil
1 ½ cups warm water
- In a large mixing bowl mix flour, salt, and baking powder. Use a whisk to break any large chunks of flour.
- Next slowly add in oil. Using your fingers mix oil into the flour well until you form chunks of oil and flour.
- Next slowly add in warm water and using you hands mix with the flour until you create your dough ball. Ensure you mix all the flour on the bottom and sides of the bowl. If the dough is too sticky add only 1 tbsp of flour at a time.
- Cover dough ball with a damp kitchen towel and leave for 10 minutes.
- Next knead dough 10 times until it is smooth and elastic.
- Divide dough into 12 equal parts. You can use a kitchen scale to weigh out equal portions of dough or cut your dough ball into 4 equal portions, then those 4 portions into 3 equal portions.
- Next begin forming each portion into a round ball, lightly coat with some flour, and set underneath a damp kitchen towel. Repeat until all portions are formed into balls.
- Next, using the palm of your hand, lightly press down on a dough ball. Use a lightly floured rolling pin and begin rolling out dough into an 8-in tortilla. Bring tortilla to a hot and clean cast-iron or non-stick skillet. Leave for about 30 seconds on one side, flip, then 30 seconds on the other side, or until you see small brown specks. Transfer cooked tortillas to a kitchen towel and cover to keep warm. Repeat until all tortillas are completed.
- To store, cover in airtight wrapping. Remove from wrapping and warm in the oven when ready. Serve as desired and enjoy!
For more follow